Changing WordPress themes, my experience shows how straightforward it is.
I hope that you have the same experience if and when you decide to change WordPress Themes.
Happy with the previous WordPress Theme, however…
I had been using the Iconic One WordPress theme for a while and was happy with it. There is a lot going for it. It is a nice clean responsive theme. However when I visited other WordPress sites on the internet, I came across the SongWriter WordPress theme which I was impressed with straightaway. I like its layout and it seemed to me to have a nicer user interface. Now this of course is a personal thing.
About to switch, what preparation needs to be done?
So before I could actually change over to a different WordPress theme, there is some preparation work that may need to be done. In my case, I had done some ‘under the hood’ work with my version of the Iconic One One theme. So I needed to dig out these changes, so that if need be, I could apply them to my version of the SongWriter WordPress theme.
Not a lot fell out
I was actually thrilled and delighted to discover:
- header.php was modified to include some Google Analytics code.
Ok, ready, steady, go …
I went into my WP Dashboard, selected appearance, selected themes, selected new. Then over on the right, I entered Songwriter into the search themes search box. It displayed an image of the theme. I selected Load. After it was loaded and installed on my WordPress site, I selected Live Preview. I liked what I saw and noted a few things I needed to check.
Some minor changes
The top menu was not what I wanted. So I went into WP Dashboard, Appearance, Menus and noted my current main menu details on the back of an envelope. Well, it was asking for it. 🙂
Then back to WP Dashboard, Appearance, themes. I then made the Songwriter theme active.
I then went back to WP Dashboad, Appearance, menus. And made my main menu the main header menu by ticking the appropriate box at the bottom of the menu and clicking update.
I then visited my site. It looked like I expected. 🙂
I then went into the WP Dashboard, Appearance, Editor, and selected the header.php file. I changed it to include the Google Analytics code and clicked update. I then visited my site. It looked like I expected.
Always good to test changes as you go along when possible to confirm that all is well and if not, to either correct or revert back. All was well.
I visited my site. I noticed my right hand sidebar had a search option. This new theme displays a search option on the top right hand side. Having both was not required. So one had to go. I removed the one from my right hand sidebar as I knew straight away how to do this without thinking.
I visited my site and it was as I expected.
It was late then, so I left that in place. My website in my opinion looked a lot better. Happy days. 🙂
Time for a break, and then resume later
The next day, I did some additional changes to make it even better. I went into my WP Dashboard, Appearance, theme options. And went through each of these options.
- In General Settings, I changed the “Display Breadcrumb Navigation” option to hide. An additional WordPress plugin is required in order to use this and at the moment, I do not want to manage another WordPress plugin unless I really have to.
- UPDATE: May 18, 2015: General Settings for this Word Press Theme allows an favicon to be uploaded and specified. There are instructions in this Word Press Theme so no need to discuss here. The favicon associated with this website is
This is a small image that you see on your browser when you are at this website. I like it. I hope you do also. 🙂
- In Header Settings, I changed nothing. I left those settings as is.
- In Posts/Pages Settings, I changed the “Display Featured Image on single posts” to hide. It was putting the image above my post. I usually display a similar image on the top right of a post, so having both displayed was not a good idea. When I was there, I changed the “Display Featured Image on pages” to hide. And of course, I click on the save all changes button.
- In Post Entries Settings, I changed nothing. I left those settings as is.
- In Fonts, I changed nothing. I left those settings as is.
- In Other Settings, I selected header image. I then went to my favorite place to get images and tried a few different images. It usually takes some time and effort to find a suitable image. In this case, I had to go away and come back to this later, because the images I was finding were just not suitable. In a later session, I found a great one and put that in place on my website.
- UPDATE: May 18, 2015: I obtained feedback regarding this big image which suggested that maybe, just maybe, that it was not such a good idea. I then tried a few different things. For now, I have removed that big image. Now, I do know how to implement it if I obtain a really brilliant suitable image. 🙂
- In other Settings, I selected Background settings. I worked with this some and found a good color for my background. That is now in place.
I then visited my site. I am very pleased with the result. Happy Days. 🙂
Any Google developer insight concerns?
I also visited the Google developer insights page before I made any changes using the previous WordPress theme and after I had moved to the current WordPress theme with the above points implemented. There were some little differences. Overall, more or less the same. However I think my website looks way better now than it did a few days earlier.
All in, a good experience
I hope that my experience helps you if or when you decide to change WordPress themes. My experience may even help you to explore the options that you have available within your WordPress theme and help you make your website better. If so, great. You might let the community know by commenting below. 🙂
I welcome any comments or feedback that people may have on this below.