This discusses some ways to save with dishwashers. This should give you some good ideas that should help you with dishwashers in your home.
Most of the energy used by a dishwasher is for water heating. Therefore it is worth checking the manual that came with your dishwasher for the manufacturer’s recommendations on water temperature as many have internal heating elements that allow you to set the water heater to a lower temperature.
This is one I found very interesting and actually surprising. Rather than hand washing dishes, use your dishwasher. The reason is that hand washing uses more water than the dishwasher. This hand washing water is heated expensively.
Dishwasher Saving Tips
- Stop the dishwasher before the drying cycle.
- Open the door to let the dishes air dry.
- Always use the economy button where possible.
- Scrape, don’t rinse, off large food pieces and bones.
- Soaking or pre-washing is generally only recommended in cases of burned-food or dried-on food.
- Be sure your dishwasher is full and not overloaded when you run it.
- Avoid using the rinse hold on your machine for just a few soiled dishes. It uses loads of hot water each use.
Long-Term Savings Tip
When shopping for a new dishwasher, look for the label to find one that uses less water and energy. The amount of water used by dishwashers vary greatly. If less water is required, not so much water needs to be heated. For instance, newer dishwashers that use less water and energy use 5.8 gallons of water per cycle or less. Compare that to older dishwashers purchased before 1994 using more than 10 gallons of water per cycle.
GREEN domain names, what the?
Remember to share any applicable advice with the community by sharing your comments below.